With the completion of the main body of the permanent church in 1911, the tin church, situated a few yards away from the new building, continued in use as a temporary church hall. The vicarage, designed by James A Webb, architect and surveyor to Hendon Rural District Council, was built in 1923 opposite the church in Pinner View, on a plot of land purchased in 1914 and 1920 for the location of a parsonage and permanent church hall.
The task of carrying forward the church hall project fell to a new incumbent, the Rev Thomas Barton Milton, who came to St George’s in 1925 having exchanged the living of Boughton Manchelsea, near Maidstone, with the Rev Ramsay Couper. An immediate priority was the provision of a building to better facilitate the wide range of educational and recreational activities of a thriving parish.
In 1926 three competitive designs were submitted for a hall to suit the church’s requirements, to be built and furnished at a total cost of around £8,000. The competition was carried out according to the advice of the Royal Institute of British Architects, assessed by W H Ansell FRIBA, and won by the architect Cyril Arthur Farey (1888-1954). The following account of Farey’s career comes from the catalogue of the RIBA Drawings Collection:
‘Probably the leading architectural draughtsman of his time, Farey was well known for his watercolour perspectives. He was born in London, educated at Tonbridge School, and articled to Horace Field. He also studied at the Architectural Association and Royal Academy Schools where he was a brilliant pupil, winning the Tite Prize, 1913, Soane Medallion, 1914, RA Schools Gold Medal, 1911, and the Edward Scott Travelling Studentship, 1921. He worked for a while as an assistant in the office of Ernest Newton and then set up independent practice and had considerable success in competitions. With Horace Field he won first prize for the Trevor Estate, Knightsbridge, and with G Dawbarn the competition for Raffles College, Singapore, 1924. He published with A Trystan Edwards "Architectural Drawing, Perspective, and Rendering", 1931. ARIBA: 1918, FRIBA: 1941.’